Sunday, October 2, 2016

No Daughter Please

I know what you're thinking. And I can read your mind. Yes I say no to a DAUGTHER.
Well the story goes like this. Today our whole family went to see off my cousin sister at the airport as she was leaving for the US of A as she recently married an NRN.
Till now I've been pestering my wife for a daughter after a son we've had. Though there is her medical problems on one side but there's this desperate want for a daughter on my side. Yes I can understand that you're actually thinking that what I'm writing is exactly opposite to the title of this blog.
Now people who know me should have already understood that there was something mysterious about the title. And for people who didn't know me till now... I don't have anything to say.
Yes I have always wanted and still want a daughter. To such an extent that sometimes I sideline my wife's medical condition. But I do come back to my senses. Sometimes I think about adopting one, and that's still on my mind.
But now you ask why the title. Well today I realized and thought about not having a daughter. My own or adopted. Because I realized that a daughter will somehow leave you one day and the pain will be excruciating, specially for a person like me who'd be so very much attached to her. Yes my son could also leave us. But I'm sure there is a difference. The difference between not being worried about someone leaving you and someone leaving you when you don't want her to.
I think I wouldn't want to be in the pain of my daughter leaving me after getting married to some guy. Yes that imaginary person will always be "some guy" to me. And I also realize that I'm writing this even when I'm not a father to a daughter, just by looking and trying to realize some other person's pain.
So today I declare to myself that I no longer want a daughter. My apologies will always be there to my son for not giving him a sibling but here I'm being a little too selfish.
Hope someday he'll grow up and read this and realize it. Or maybe he'll someday give me a beautiful granddaughter.

P,S, I hope you realize that it's nothing about male domination or it has nothing to do with gender equality or any of that shit.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mampaga, I have thoroughly enjoyed all your blogs till this date. I kinda sense that you are putting my thoughts into words and that is why I enjoy reading them. But this piece of yours is something that I disagree with. I understand that you don't mean male domination or gender discrimination in it but still what you are saying is completely wrong. Just because of your fear of losing something in future, how can you not want it at all? In that case you should become a saint and renounce all your worldly possessions. My disagreement with you is because you are talking solely about "a daughter" and not generally about everything else. For me, this write-up would have been nice if you had talked about the main subject with your cousin's departure as an example. As you yourself have said, even a son or anybody else whom you really love can leave. So why not want a daughter just solely for that reason????
Just a general comment from your regular reader.

Mampaga said...

I absolutely agree to your point. And actually what I'm saying is what you're saying. Just that I've negated the fact for the fear of losing a daughter and you're telling me to rather rejoice the times I can spend with one till the time she's with me.
It's a simple case of glass half full or half empty.
My cousin sister leaving was a big blow somehow.
And thanks for reading and following my posts. I highly appreciate the comments.