Sunday, October 16, 2016

Why do we need a better Airport ???


Ok. This thing has been a shit piece of discussion for ages now. And there have been people both for and not so against this voice.
Well and I'm not here to justify either of them. I'm just here to justify my point after my first true international travel to Thailand (not considering India and Bhutan).
I'm here to tell you WHY NEPAL NEEDS A BETTER AIRPORT.

1. No, it's not because it's our pride and that the people from abroad will have a bad first impression of our country when they land in Nepal and have to go through the bullshit at TIA.
2. No, it's not because it is a thing of beauty and again it gives an impression of the whole of nation and it's people.
3. No, it's not because we believe in "Atithi Deva Bhawa". I've seen that the more the tourism booms, the less they care about their tourists. Fuck "Atithi Deva Bhawa". Money comes first.
4. No, it's not because the tourists will not come back due to the bad service of our TIA and that it would hamper our tourism.
5. No, it's not because you will feel embarrassed in front of the people from abroad. That's the most selfish thing to think about.

Well the one and only one reason why there should be a BETTER AIRPORT is because PEOPLE JUST DESERVE GOOD SERVICE. It's just plain simple as that. You're travelling and it's just the normal convenience that people seek. It doesn't have to be an art gallery level of beautiful.
I was looking around the Suwarnabhoomi Airport, which has been highly regarded by every Nepali going there. And I was expecting something great. But all I could look at was a huge steel structure with lots of trusses and iron pillars and glass panes and that's that. The only piece of art that I saw was the structure of "Samudra Manthan" in the center of the duty free section.
Else everything was just plain beauty in itself and nothing more. And the beauty was that everything just functioned properly in its own right.
It wasn't very extraordinary. It just made travelling easier. And that's what I wanted or every traveler wants. Be it local or international.
Honestly, it's like having a good spouse. Not necessarily the prettiest one, not necessarily the most talented, not necessarily the best cook, not necessarily the best educated, not necessarily the best in bed, not necessarily the best in everything. Just plain simple GOOD.
So I really don't believe in people who give the above 5 or more reasons for having a better airport. I say even if this existing small one operates in the most effective way, we and everyone would be more than happy.
I guess everyone deserves that much at least, just like a good spouse.

2 comments:

Zephyr Chitrakar said...

Every time I travel back to Nepal, one thing that hunts me the first is the chaos at the TIA. I never stand near to the baggage belt shown on the screen for firstly the belt number is more often changed (one would say not much of issue because there used to be only two, now four) and it would take time (sometimes longer than your flight duration). We are so oblivious to others and the authorities are no less. Nobody cares if somebody has to wait. Arrival or Departure, the TIA is the worst place on earth to begin and end your travelling. The good lucks in curd we have before leaving home are needed here.
"Ek chhin ta kurnai paryo ni," "kati hatar tapainharulai, aaehalxa ni." This is what operation staffs to directors of the concerned office are thinking and acting accordingly.

We certainly deserve better - a lot better.

Once I am out of the TIA, a few minutes drive and I like to take U-turn and fly away again as the chaos inside the TIA isn't the only one to survive with in our country. Only thing that drives me home is that I don't want to go through the airport having just come through it :).

Mampaga said...

Fully agree to it Zephyr.