Tuesday, September 20, 2016

दशैं आयो, माँगेर खायो...


Dasain, the biggest festival for almost all Nepalese people around the globe. Hence also known as BADA Dasain. The weather's perfect, the mood is just right, and everyone is rich, if not with money but at least in their hearts.
BUT. There is always a BUT. But the festival has always been a pain in the, you know where, for me. Why? Because I am surrounded by BEGGARS till the festival is over. Yes beggars who come well dressed, talk nice and seem almost ready to lick your balls.
Ok stop imagining because your mind is wandering somewhere else. These aren't the Sunny Leone types. These are the ugly bastards who've defamed this beautiful festival by making a begging bowl out of it. From event organizers, to government officials, to police, to local clubs, to newspaper delivery man and mostly the media.
"Dasain ko lagi kei chaina...?" is the most common sentence I and am sure many like me have to hear during this period. It's not about whether one can spend a bit and keep their bloody mouth shut. It's about how we as a society have developed into parasites who think it's their fundamental right to feed on someone else. And one thing I appreciate about them is that they've very finely developed the skill of making you feel guilty if you don't help them or scare the shit out of you in case you don't comply.
Sometimes I blame the international fraternity who've inculcated this habit among us at a macro level.
I'm sure there are many who'll agree to me when I say people take you for granted when it comes to getting things done for free. But that still is tolerable as long as you feel it's right.
But when it comes to forcing someone, I get pissed off. I even get pissed off when I see a Fire Engine Truck with the label "Donated by the Indian Government". Why? Can't we even afford to buy a fire engine? Can't we even build our own local roads? Can't we have simple solar lamps for our streets with our own money?
Have we really stopped feeling proud on our achievements? Has the country that prides in never having been colonized, now prides in getting as much for FREE as possible? Has it become a Nepalese culture to get everything for FREE?
I'm just honestly perplexed and wonder. And honestly I don't have an answer for that.
This small write up just ends here with this question for all to answer.

P.S. I've used an image that was provided for free without any copyright and the source is mentioned below, just in case someone thinks I'm a hypocrite.

Image Source: http://nepalicalendar.rat32.com/happy-dashain-2071-cards-wallpapers/

2 comments:

Sunil Chaudhary said...

Very true,i feel same sir during festivals ajaha sir boarder side ma business hunu parcha legally saaman leye ra aauda ni dashai kharcha ta dinai parnay.like usko bau le kamyera rakh deko jasto.if u not give they will treat you like u r a terrorist

Mampaga said...

Thank you very much for reading and expressing your views.