Sunday, September 18, 2016

What's on Your Mind ???


What's on your mind? It's exactly what Facebook asks me everyday. And then I think, "Yes, What T F is on my mind today?" And then my fingers start twitching to type in that blank space. But something holds me back. Then again the question strikes back but now it asks me, "What REALLY is on my mind?". And that is when I filter out many thoughts that I think shouldn't be there.
So when I think of filling up that space, many a times I've been naive and very very ignorant and inconsiderate spewing out absolutely worthless crap. And the latest feature of facebook reminding you with what you did in the past has helped me understand that. Sometimes it's embarrassing.
So the question is what should be your Facebook status or any status on any social network?
Well I've tried to learn and improve with what I update on Facebook. I don't deny the fact that some impulsive posts still are naive and worthless. But now I've categorized what should be as follows:

1. It should be FUN.
And I'm not talking about fun for yourself only but fun for others as well. You can't just say I don't give a fuck about who thinks what of this. You're actually responsible, to a large extent, for his/her reaction because you're related socially through this virtual platform and you're both there for each other. If you think otherwise then just unfriend that person or move out of the social network space. And also you don't have the right to feel offended if that person unfriends you. So make it fun for yourself and other people as well. Personal stuffs are also fun sometimes. And sometimes even non-personal stuffs which you think is fun are absolutely annoying. Well your likes and comments should give you a clear idea of categorizing your content.

2. When not FUN, it should be INFORMATIVE
Let it be something that'll intrigue the readers. Give them something to think about. Give them something new that they've never known or thought of. Social media can be a wonderful platform to share knowledge. Being a lecturer, I read a lot of articles, journals, watch videos and share them, that most often leads to a discussion with my students who further read, watch and share them. I use this social platform to clarify a lot of myths many a times. So many people on social media are again foolish enough to read, believe and further share fake and unnecessary material. I try my best to aware these people about the authenticity of things shared over Facebook.

3. It's a great place to SELL
Yes, SELL. The world is going digital and why not marketing and selling your product digitally? I've realized it to be the best platform to market and sell your stuff. The mainstream media has become very expensive and its credibility and effectivity is highly questionable these days. And for young entrepreneurs and low-cost startups, there's no better place than the web to promote. So when Facebook asks you "What's on your mind" just answer back with "I've got my product on my mind". For a hundredth of the cost of mainstream media you can reach the actual customers you want. Sometimes it just happens for free. Depends on how creative you are.

4. Protest, Revolt, Change.
Social Media is the People's Media. And I've always believed in that. In a country like Nepal where most media are dishonest, biased and corrupt, social media can be used effectively to fight against the anarchic discrimination of mainstream media. Virality is the key. It's a place where you can complain to the Government, criticize yellow journalism, whitsle blow against the culprits, debate and make people aware in mass about it. Personally some of my own efforts have borne results and since then my trust in it has grown. Sometimes the pressure can build up to such an extent that the concerned authorities are compelled to act.

5. The SAND BAG
Last but not the least, it's a "Sand Bag". It's a great psychological let out sometimes. But please, limit it to only sometimes. Because again too much of your psychological let out is again no fun for other people, which takes us back to point number 1. The best thing is always having some real person to talk to but I can understand that there can be situations when you can't, and yes then comes this blank space where you write your heart out.

Now this may not be the exhaustive list of how to properly fill up that blank space but I'm sure it will help people who're still confused.
And yes the link to this blog is also going in that blank space as well.

No comments: