Monday, November 21, 2016

Nepalese Solar System


NO. It's not about the astrological science that I'm writing about now. It's about the solar system. No, what I'm trying to say is the astological SOLAR SYSTEM is completely different from what SOLAR SYSTEM means here in Kathmandu. Yes that's what I'm trying to say. And that's what my 7 year old cousin brother proved it was.
He studies in St. Xaviers, Jawalakhel and I've always found it to be one of the best institutions in terms of maintaining balance among the students. Balance of everything. So one fine day my cousin comes back home and starts to complete his assignment of drawing a SOLAR SYSTEM. And as you can see the picture above is what he drew. My nini (aunt) posted this on our family Viber network and we all had a good laugh. Some even jokingly commented saying the school fee needs to be refunded. But then I realized that it's not the fees that should be refunded. The teacher knew exactly what s/he was asking and the student exactly knew what he knew. Just that there was a huge gap between the  knowledge of the teacher and the knowledge of my cousin. The teacher grew up never seeing a SOLAR PANEL on top of his house until now, and my cousin grew up seeing the SOLAR PANEL on top of his home before he even knew that a different SOLAR SYSTEM existed beyond the borders of our planet EARTH.
And regarding the joke of having the fee refunded, I said instead of the fee we should ask for a refund from our politicians because it's because of their ignorance this situation has arose. A child is made to believe that that flat panel made up of some black material called silicon is the solar system. And I was actually not joking. I was and am serious about it.
Now what all are these politicians going to make believe the upcoming generation? I worry about my son and all of his age and below. Are they going to believe that door to door water supply or regular electricity or proper free education or good nutrition or indigenous products or sustainability or honesty or morality all are myth and nothing else? Are they going to grow with a very low acceptable standard of all the mentioned subjects? And finally are they going to grow up LESS HUMAN than we actually were?

No comments: